Thursday, October 2, 2008

REVIEW: Baby Proof - Emily Giffin





So I decided to keep with the Emily Giffin theme and got one of her other books Baby Proof. It is a separate story from Something Borrowed and Something Blue.

As all Emily Giffin's novels do, this one is also set in New York, with their high achieving main characters. Baby Proof is about this woman named Claudia, she is an editor for a big publishing firm. All her life she has never wanted to be a mother. She likes kids just fine but never had that maternal instinct that most girls have growing up when they think what their own kids will be like. She liked the role of Cool Aunt. Well she goes on a blind date with Ben, an architect for the city. He wants all the same things in life that she does. And he too, doesn't want kids. They get married and have a great marriage. They're completely compatible, until one of them has a change of heart and decides that they actually do want to have kids.

Now for me.. being one of those girls that wants kids.. desperately.. couldn't really find common ground with Claudia. I couldn't find any part of myself in her which is what makes it easier to read stories. And is probably the reason why it took me a week to read it. The story starts out a little slow at first but about 1/3 of the way into the book it begins to pick up and find its stride in the plot.

It is actually a good book. It was just a little difficult for me to become engaged in the characters. I personally identified more with Claudia's sister Daphne and her best friend Jess.

But, I'm looking forward to getting Something Blue in the mail from JD so I can see Darcy's side of things. I loved Something Borrowed a lot!



2 comments:

  1. well i will just have to borrow that after i read the other 37 books that i have waiting on me :) should i buy it or borrow from you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Valerie,

    I'm a big Emily Giffin fan, too -- in fact, that's how I discovered your great website! If you have a moment, could I ask you to check out mine at www.sarahpekkanen.com
    I'm also a writer who just signed a publishing contract with Jennifer Weiner's editor, so I'd love to get your feedback, since we share the same taste in books and music.
    Thanks!
    Sarah Pekkanen

    ReplyDelete